Copyright © 2010-2012 chalkdustchronicles.blogspot.com - All rights reserved

Please do not re-use content/photographs without permission

Wimbledon 2010 Day 2: Jo-Wilfred Tsonga/Kendrick

Lunch... and so begins the task of sampling as many concessions as possible...
For those keeping score... today was Fish and Chips... YUM!!!!

We decided to take a gentle amble up the stairs – only to find that our gangway was the totally the opposite side. Now... no Wimbles would be complete without my flirting with a fireman... and I did ask him if he thought it would be ok if I could walk just over that patch of grass down there... he laughed but declined to let me try!
Anyhoo... off we schlepped. And schlepped. And Schleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeped! Sheesh – that was a long way round...
We got there JUST as there was a CoE so a quick scamper up the stairs for me (slightly less quick for mum... ooops) and we settled down.
I had a bloke who kept digging his feet into me.. many turns round with a Paddington Bear Hard Stare... that SHOWED him!


We joined with JWT at 3-4 with serve.... he was looking nifty, both guys serving and volleying and JWT in particular looking quite pumped. And may I just say – so FINE in the flesh. God alive... that guy is fit. And a half!




However – he was pretty unlucky out on court – slipping a lot in the next game and resulting in a good strong hold for Kendrick.



There was great variety of shot making in this first set – really good tennis. More unlucky slips for JWT – I like to think he was throwing himself at my feet... but then I was 22 rows up from where he was... so... mmkay maybe not.
Into a tiebreak and JWT took it with a ripping return...

So... how could we go from great tennis to... dozeville.
The 2nd set was totally soporific – my mum shut her eyes... mine were flickering and I was contemplating shades so that the woman next to me wouldn’t see I was dozing.
Games were just going easy with serve.


And another thing! With the exception of the Bally match and the lunch bench... I have NOT BEEN IN THE SUN. AT ALL.
Hottest Wimbles on record... and I have no tan to show for it.
Life. Is. Unfair. [/mehhhhh]

I’ve always found Court One to be a bit noisy – that match I saw with JJ against Savchuck – I was totally constantly distracted by people walking about in the corridors behind the staircases and bins being wheeled about.
Where we sitting this time was unbearable. People shouting and screaming – it was a nightmare.

Anyway – between trying to get some shuteye... and listening to the clatter and chatter outside... the guys on court decided to liven up the crowd at 5-5 with a challenge on game point. I think Tsonga was actually on his way back to the chair and they both kinda stood there looking at the screens, and then finally they had to trudge back out and replay the point...


Meanwhile during this 2nd set they kept flashing up Anne’s scores – which seemed stuck permanently at 4-3 (Anne) – seriously this game had been put on the scoreboard at each CoE and it never seemed to change. Even on the iPhone App each time I looked at it..
Anne went on to lose... much to everyone’s total shock... oh and JWT decided to make certain everyone was awake by taking the next TB.

There was a mass exodus at the end of the 2nd so that people could go get lunch ahead of Andy’s match...
Meanwhile we were now joined by this woman sat next to mum who had obviously never been to a tourney before – she pulled out her mobile phone much to our collective disbelief and was chatting to some dude who was going to be sat elsewhere in Ct 1... we were all looking round at each other – but of course being all polite and British, no-one said anything.
Except this little 9 year old girl sitting in front of her... who turned round and said (as only a 9 year old can)... "would you mind being quiet ... I am trying to watch and you are not allowed mobiles". Heheh – little sweetheart! Anyway – woman apologised patronisingly to the kid (earning a frown from Kid’s mum!) and just carried on nattering to her mate... Too-Much-Pimms-itis in my opinion! Meh – I was just jealous ‘cos I’d driven!

Kendrick broke to go 4-2 up after YET ANOTHER JWT slip. He was slipping a lot now... perhaps he should have gone back to soporific stylie and stood still for a bit?!
Kendrick served out the 3rd set at 5-3 and I was hoping that JWT would be waking his fine self the fuck UP for the next set....

Actually all joking aside – whilst JW came out swinging in the 4th – he took ANOTHER fall – this time actually taking a while to stand up...
But he was ok – and really got it together for the rest of the set – crowd beginning to seep back in...
JWT took the 4th set 6-4 and the crowd atmosphere changed... Buzz in the air (no not the mean little bees)... next up ... MUZZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment