Copyright © 2010-2012 chalkdustchronicles.blogspot.com - All rights reserved

Please do not re-use content/photographs without permission

Wimbledon 2008 Day 4: Stretch & Beastie

So – Day 4 in the Big Brother hou… oh no wait sorry – that’s something else…

Day 4 saw us with allocated return tickets – I’d half looked at the allocation when I’d booked, but when I saw that it was actually… Row C – well thought it would be quite close to the action…

However – after a spot of lunch (we’re gradually working our way round the Food Village!) we tootled off to Court 19.
It was Gallovits/Govortsova vs two American girls – one of whom really fancied herself as a bit of a Serena in the ‘tood department – but actually came across as a complete High School Musical Bolshy Extra!

Anyway – I only mention this precursor to some Stretch and Beastie action as Govortsova is partnering Maxie-boy in the Mixed, and she was by far the weaker of the two and I fear Max will be out first round as she played an absolute shocker.

I actually have tons more photos than the ones I've posted 'cos initially I was using the Flikr freebie limits - but in the end I paid up so I could have more sets etc... so over the weekend I'm gonna go back and add all the ones that didn't make it in and round them up!

Anyhoo – the court was packed for Jamie and Max – as well as folks standing all along the back AND across the little walkway bridge …

The guys arrived – oh my word the hair – ok not too bad, but the headband. Seriously Jamie honey – love ya ‘n’ all, but OH NO.





Bit o’practice hitting and then we were off, nip and tuck all the way – interestingly enough – there was a stark difference in the teams – I can’t remember who Santoro used to be paired with but it was fairly clear that he and Marc Giquel were not a regular pairing as quite often they’d be both back peddling for the same ball – no hand signals etc.





But – some excellent play and no real areas of weakness on the serves in the opening set – and we found ourselves at a tie break real quick.
Jamie and Max were pretty solid and took it comfortably…



2nd set – seemed to be a different matter – I think Jamie lost his serve right at the start, putting he and Max on the back foot straight away.
This set was a bit more of a nail biter – Jamie looked the more vulnerable of the two, but that being said – there was an AWESOME rally – basically between Jamie and Fabrice for about 10 shots before finally Jamie sent over a topspin forehand which Fabrice netted.
Jamie and Max also seemed to have a couple of set piece moves which were really effective two – and boy – Jamie’s reactions at the net are amazing. Really exciting to watch.

So – they struggled up to another TB but really struggled early on – at 1-4 down I was beginning to fear the beginning of the worst but oh my GOD what a turn around… they clawed back and when they took it – Jamie was sooo pumped up…

These guys are definitely gelling as a team – Max often giving Jamie a friendly tap on the back after some particularly good shot making…
Max was pretty adept at calling wide shots …
It really makes such a difference seeing them working – and I can believe that if at first Jamie felt a little intimidated by Max, the balance is shifting and they’re finding a more equal footing. It was great to watch and well worth sticking out for 2 sets…

I wish I could have stayed for the 3rd, but I’d already missed all of Venus’ match with Anne Keothavong and was in danger of missing Andy’s altogether…

No comments:

Post a Comment