Copyright © 2010-2012 chalkdustchronicles.blogspot.com - All rights reserved

Please do not re-use content/photographs without permission

Wimbledon 2008 Day 7: The Fed vs The Fidget

Well… what a day – but not for all the right reasons! (Until the end anyway!)

Today saw the blogging team of … one, supplemented by Cat who (living in the same town ‘n’ all) was duly collected from in front of the Gala Bingo building (it being one of the few places in our god-awful one way system for me to pull over and stop!) and off we went to the hallowed lawns …

We had to do the long gallop to the other side of the complex to get our Centre Court Tickets so Cat managed to get nicely positioned in the queue for Court 18 long before I even managed to pick up our tickets!

Mum and I divided and conquered today – she hot-footed it off to Court 2 to watch the Williams-Squared while I sprinted up the hill having seen dozens of seats, only to be told that because this was really the last day the rank and file would get to see players like JJ etc so just for Monday they were letting people reserve their seats until 11:45 – THEN it would be no seats reserved.

BUT – I was in the row where the Big TV was and they started with JJ’s match… but I have to say… when she came on court my heart sank. She looked (to me anyway) troubled and unhappy… and the play was… not inspiring from what I could see.

After the first set the queue really didn’t move that much and it was coming on for 1pm and not many Centre Courters were moving either – and once she’d gotten broken, I feared that I would only get to the front of the queue for seats when the match was over…

So I left for Centre to catch…

Roger Federer v Lleyton Hewitt



Having said how much I wasn’t fussed – it occurred to me that here were the only 2 players to have won Wimbledon since the turn of the century … oh and let’s not forget the Aussies… soooo funny and good for entertainment value!

Lleyton, bless him, wasn’t really as fist-pumpy as normal – played well but Federer did outclass him.






But what really was cracking me up was the complete disdain Fed has for the challenge system… even when he uses it it’s so grudging it’s laughable.

Now… we were more than happy with our seats but there seemed to be a bunch of oldish folk from a Darby and Joan club who seemed to think they owned our little corner… the old guy in the seat next to me kept jutting out his elbows… initially I was a bit more tolerant ‘cos I’d turned up with fish and chips which is never the best thing to eat in a seat… but when my mum sat in the same place when I went off on Jamie watch – I was a bit cross. Even the guys sat in the row above and next to more of them were appalled at him basically trying to nudge my mum off her seat and were going to report him to the stewards… hmm more on them later

Rogi got taken to a TB in the first but after that it was pretty much business as usual… even the Aussies seemed a bit muted…..



But here we go with the best of the pics…





No comments:

Post a Comment