Copyright © 2010-2012 chalkdustchronicles.blogspot.com - All rights reserved

Please do not re-use content/photographs without permission

Wimbledon 2008 Day 7: Murray v Gasquet - Part 2 (STILL THAT Match!)

I was being texted by my mum sat on Centre, telling me that Andy had lost the second set and to get my behind BACK to rescue her at the end...
However, on my way back I also got a curious text from a friend, saying "Just thought I'd ask - has your mum gone to Wimbledon this year, because I SWEAR I've just seen her on the TV!"
And sure enough - mum had been spotted in the crowd, waving her arms and cheering Andy's comeback in the third set. My mum. My 4'9" mum... jumping up and down and giving it welly!!!

He was fast approaching the TB when I got back and the guys behind me were amazed at how tenacious he’d been… and the TB was amazing – that now oft-replayed shot of him hitting that passing shot and ending up on the photo ledge had the crowd on their feet (in fact in the super slo-mo you can see me and my mum v clearly !!!)

The Aussies were back in fine voice leading all kinds of chants and starting off Mexican waves, and it was the first time we got an inkling of Richard’s complete discomfort in these kind of surroundings!!!

The 4th set went by him awfully fast – really almost like a formalilty and there we were… into the 5th… and having never seen Henman live, you really got an inkling as to what it must have been like.
To describe the Centre Court atmosphere as “electric” really doesn’t do it any justice.

It was unreal… and so the games went on – the shot making, at times the frustrating shot selection… and all the time the crescendo was rising.

By the time we got to matchpoint – the noise was incredible – it was so dark and actually more than a little nippy but Gasquet found the net and it was all over… bar the shouting… literally

And we were close enough to see the HUGE smile on his face as he was throwing the wristbands into the crowd.





Now I know that this morning people on Breakfast TV were all “for god’s sake, he didn’t win the damn tournament” but that was everything a match could be… tension, lapses, digging deep… (and that was just the crowd!!!!)

Just Awesome!!!

Anyway – ‘twas another late night – but a great load of tennis to be watched… sorta made up for such a disappointing morning… (but only kinda)…

More from Women’s Semi’s day on Thursday for ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment