Copyright © 2010-2012 chalkdustchronicles.blogspot.com - All rights reserved

Please do not re-use content/photographs without permission

Wimbledon 2010 Day 1: Baltacha/Martic

It occurred to me while driving to the Park and Ride that I never truly realised how exhausted I was last year with being on a new project and having to learn stuff from scratch – because I totally had no recollection of how to get there.
This year – no such problem – Knowledge is a marvellous thing! Mind you – mum was good value for hilarity on the way up from Colchester at the weekend – commenting that she thought that my new SatNav wasn’t as rude as the old one... mmmkay... moving on...
She was a bit like defective Sat Nav today though – pointing out turnings and signs about 10 mins after I’d turned! Although we now have the new national sport of “spot the person driving to the Park and Ride for the first time”... especially one or two tricky lane changes...

Some typical Brit moaning on the bus – pretty much everyone on there had confirmed tickets – and the drivers were all off in the distance having a cuppa and a natter... I was noble and offered up my seat to someone, but it was politely declined...

The iPhone App is awesome – actually much nicer than the RG one – so with that in my trusty paw... the plan was to get through security and get ourselves over to Court 12 for an hour to catch a bit of Bally....
I had to chortle at some random in front of us, large fella, purporting to belong to a tennis club and declaring Martic as some “goat-herder”... Turns our Elena is the patron of his tennis club so he was turning out to support before he and his wife also were heading to centre.
Court was getting pretty busy and she got a rousing cheer as she took to the court from the Britskis...





I’d never noticed before but Bally has her strict routine... doesn’t get up from her seat unless she absolutely is at the end of time, and does a bit of a Hantuchova and goes to the corner of the court, and then turns round for the point.




For my money –she looked a little nervous – probably understandable – opening up proceedings etc... In the first set she seemed solid enough in her games and was helped by the fact that Martic was struggling to find her range a lot.








Both of them slug it out from the back – but it was good to see Bally mix it up and come to the net, and all the while Petra was getting quiet frustrated – chucking her racquet down at one stage and earning an “ooooh” from the crowd...
But then the nerves seemed to kick in for Elena – she had a nervy hold to go 4-2 and then broke, and to be fair she was pretty pumped and put on a strong game to take the set. We had to go by that point... and Cilla texted me to tell me that she’d struggled to serve it out for the set – and Martic had obviously settled into her game by now so the 2nd set went to her.




What we weren’t prepared for was the absolute collapse in the third? The scores get flashed up in Centre at CoEs and people were all “huh? What happened” ... I think this was a winnable match for her and I can only assume that she’s as gutted as everyone else as I think she and Anne had the best chances this year of going through to the next round....

No comments:

Post a Comment