Copyright © 2010-2012 chalkdustchronicles.blogspot.com - All rights reserved

Please do not re-use content/photographs without permission

Wimbledon 2010 Day 1: Nole vs Olivier Rochus

We had to go have a break after the Fed rollercoaster and JJ
Hmm – the people in the concessions may be students of the highest calibre (they used to only be made up of Oxbridge students but I think nowadays they take anyone!)... but LORD are they ever SLOOOOOOOOW!
They just have no common sense at all either!
On day one – it’s a bad sign that they ran out of scones and clotted cream/jam so I had to force strawberries and cream down as a tea time treat. It’s a hard life.
We met up with my friend Jason who chatted with us for a bit and then we headed back...

I can tell I was tired – I looked up at the score and saw 5-3 and just assumed it was Nole in the lead.
I did a total double take when I realised the little hobbit had taken the first!



Recently when I’ve watched Nole – he’s been moaney as hell to his crew and today was no exception – on am.com the folks are alarmed when Andy’s body language betrays his emotions... and Nole is no different – sometimes he actually looks like he really doesn’t even want to be there. We know that’s not true – but possibly something for those guys to consider...


By now it was getting later and the court was pretty slippy and slidey – Nole looked like Bambi walking for the first time half the time!
Actually all joking aside – it looked as though one slip had tweaked his back but he was a lot more controlling of the points in the 2nd set.



A lot of effective use of the serve out wide – but that being said – he failed to take set points at the time... and it was a scramble for him despite the score.
Again like with Roger we thought... Nole back in control. Then he got broken, at the start of the third! I wanted to go down and give him a good shake! Olivier was all over Nole like a little hobbit rash in the third... and Nole’s body language was just appalling.

Now remember we’re up in the gods so it’s quite cold up there and my mum was getting bored of Nole and restless... we were going to wait out the set but decided to call it a day with Rochus serving and being up a break.



And for some reason at that time, my eye started to feel really irritated and my nose was just streaming... mum was all “you have a cold” ...like accusingly... uh huh – didn’t get one on purpose.
But I was feeling lousy ! And being sat next to the bus engine wasn’t helping... however today no such sniffles so I wonder if it was hayfever or some kind of allergy!

I was convinced it would be all over by the time we got home – takes about an hour or so to get back...
So imagine my surprise when I got home to a few texts from Cilla saying it was dragging on...

So – watched it on the red button to the end – talk about epic – and to finish like 1 minute before the curfew!
Interesting thing though – where we park for the free buses – they don’t allow overnight parking and the park closes at after the last buses leave Wimbledon at 10pm... so even if we had wanted to stay longer – we’d still have to have left before the end.

Maybe I need to rethink that driving and staying non-alcofrolic ethos...

No comments:

Post a Comment